Friday, December 20, 2013

And now for something completely different.....

.....and if you know where the title of this post comes from....you're instantly on my cool list.

Now. On to the fun stuff! Wait...let me apologize first. I've come to realize that I'm fairly terrible at churning out new material in any kind of timely manner. I get all these awesome ideas for posts I want to do....at 3am. I promise to be better about putting out more frequent posts after this hectic holiday crap is done and over with.

*Note to self: keep a notepad and pen next to the bed, dumbass*

Speaking of hectic holiday crap....can you believe Christmas is in less than a week?! I mean really...where did this year go? Last year, I was done with my shopping and all major preparations by December 1st. This year....not so much. I *just* mailed out my cards this morning. The hubs and I decided not to put up a tree this year because we have 4 cats, 2 of whom are assholes. So, in lieu of a tree, we put up a garland over the living room window with lights and snazzy decorations. It's not a tree but, it serves its purpose. Anyway, we just put that up last night. We're not yet done with Christmas shopping....that's this weekend's adventure. If it's anything like last weekend....I'm not looking forward to it. I haven't wrapped anything yet and I still have cookies to make.

So...if you're a professional procrastinator just like me....and you've left yourself with little to no time to make a sweet treat to bring to Christmas dinner (or just to munch on while you're watching "Home Alone" or "A Christmas Story" for the 156th time...c'mon, you know it's the truth), never fear! I have three super easy cookie recipes for you! 

Two of them are old recipes from my Nonny (my mom's mom) which I have written on old, stained, well-loved recipe cards, in her handwriting. They're like little treasures all by themselves. The third I copied out of some magazine years ago and it's become one of my favorites. They're all very easy to make and they're hubs-approved!

Here we go!! 


Peanut Butter Balls

1 1/2 cups peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 cup margarine (I use real butter {softened} because margarine is gross but, it's totally up to you)
1 lb powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
6 oz chocolate chips

Mix first 4 ingredients until well blended. (I use my hands, it's much easier since it's a relatively dry mixture.)
Squeeze about 1-2 tablespoons (depending on how big you want your balls to be..yeah, go ahead and laugh) of the mixture into a ball shape. Since it's dry, it won't really roll so it's easier to squeeze them into shape. Set out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

In microwave or over a double boiler (whatever you're more comfortable with), melt shortening and chocolate chips.

Dip peanut butter balls into melted chocolate. Refrigerate until set. Place in container and store in fridge. 



Icebox Cookies

Preheat oven to 350°

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt 

Optional add-ins: nuts (your preference), raisins, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, dried cranberries (I usually go with the last 2...so good!). Use about 1/3 cup to start and add more if you wish.

Combine all ingredients. It will resemble a soft dough. Turn out onto wax or parchment paper and form into a roll, wrap tightly. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap, slice (about 1/4 inch thick) and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a cooling rack. 


Italian Ricotta Cookies

Preheat oven to 375°

1 stick unsalted butter (softened) 
2 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
zest from one lemon


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar (with an electric mixer) until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beat until well incorporated. Add ricotta cheese and vanilla and mix well. Slowly add dry ingredients and stir well by hand to combine. Drop dough (about 2 tablespoons per cookie) onto parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. When done, let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes.

To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir until smooth. Spoon over cooled cookies. Add a *tiny* bit of water if you'd like your glaze to be thinner. Let glaze harden for about 2 hours.  



And there you go! The three cookies I'll be making this year. I'm keeping it simple. I hope you enjoy making (and eating!) these as much as I do! Please let me know if you do try them and feel free to share your favorite recipes with me! I'm always on the lookout for new goodies! 

Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love new goodies! Thankfully you have my address to send me a cookie gift box once you're finished baking all that deliciousness! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ba-ha! That *might* be possible....though I'm not sure how well the PB balls would survive lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound delicious! What time should I be over? Lol

    ReplyDelete